2011-07-13 Activities SDO Call Minutes

From HL7 TSC
Jump to: navigation, search

TSC Agenda/Minutes

Meeting Info/Attendees

HL7 Activities with Other SDOs

Location: call 770-657-9270 using code 124466#
GoToMeeting ID: 165-215-206

Date: 2011-07-13
Time: 9:00 AM U.S. Eastern
Facilitator: Austin Kreisler Note taker(s): Lynn Laakso
Attendee Name Affiliation
x Bernd Blobel
x Keith Boone
x Richard Dixon-Hughes
x Jamie Ferguson
x Austin Kreisler HL7 TSC Chair
x Lynn Laakso HL7 staff support
x John Moehrke
x Don Mon


Quorum Requirements (Chair +5 with 2 SD Reps) Met: n/a

Agenda

Agenda Topics
The purpose of this conference call is to discuss how to make the HL7 Activities with Other SDO's session at the working group meetings more useful for both the presenters and participants. I have to admit that trying to get this session organized for each working group meeting is frustrating. We invite the various liaisons with other SDO's to present during the session, getting a handful of people indicating they can or cannot attend. At the WGM, we have trouble getting the liaison's to show up at the session, even if they are attending the WGM and are in town on Sunday afternoon. We've heard in these sessions that the participants in the audience appreciate the reports that are provided during the sessions. We also hear from some participants that they would like to see more accomplished during these sessions. That's the real purpose of this call, to find out how you want this session to evolve.


Supporting Documents

  • none

Minutes

Minutes/Conclusions Reached:
Austin introduces the reason for the call. Bernd describes the necessity of the session. Richard DH, mentioned the history was Mark Shafarman was by invitation only and lasted several hours. Should be an onus on the six members of the JIC to report. Affiliate chairs may not be the primary target audience. Focus on collaboration between the SDOs not reports from individual SDO activity. Austin notes that the difficulty has been in getting the liaisons to respond. Keith notes that despite careful preparation he gets complaints from members of Structured Documents that he’s not telling them what’s going on. Austin notes we may need to move it into the week. John Moehrke thinks the presentation format needs adjustment. Need to look for opportunity to prevent overlap, enhance cooperation. Most attendees don’t look at Sunday for sessions. Jamie Ferguson suggests the model for the meeting could be a working meeting format rather than status updates. He suggests Thursday morning, based on the activities of the WGM what should be taken out to the other SDOs. Bernd agrees with John but the week is overloaded. Need to be precise and value added with content. Austin asks if it would be helpful if we had a panel similar to the plenary with SDO representatives. Perhaps a panel during the general session. Keith notes that the WG have a cycle of work; you might need to rotate the panel members to ensure the liaisons have enough face time. Noting follow up on the reports should be targeted to specific WG. He tries to schedule time with the appropriate WGs on certain IHE profiles but he’s not the best person on the details on every topic. Austin notes September we don’t have opportunity at the plenary. Perhaps we use the same time to run an example panel session alongside the reports. Take some thought leaders and have a working session. Would it be appropriate to have continuing calls in a couple of weeks to pick up other attendees that had conflicts today? Keith clarifies that we’d have calls to discuss a panel session alongside the report-out? Should the TSC have a quarter of meeting time during the week to follow up on the panel discussion? Austin notes that the origin of the session may have also been from the HL7 chair rather than the TSC but he inherited it from Charlie McCay. Keith noted that the Board expressed a desire for more TSC engagement in the liaison process. Austin notes that getting a commitment for a bigger role from the TSC members would be very difficult. Keith asks if an early morning session might work for some follow up? Bernd notes that most of the engagement with the SDOs happens within other countries, may contribute to the event being on Sunday. He’d like to see the connection between the TSC and the international community. Don Mon joins the call and mentions John Quinn as CTO is liaison to ISO, JIC, and the US SCO. Perhaps we can approach Chuck and John to discuss the roles. Austin notes that the bulk of HL7 members coming to the WGM don’t pay attention to the work outside of HL7. Jamie F. notes that he skipped the last couple of sessions because of the format and need for better value. The JIC came out of this process and we need to return to working on the content rather than hearing about the content. Collaboration opportunities should be identified and outreach to the other SDOs assigned for after the session. Don agrees that it should be more action oriented with action and planning across the SDOs. John M. agrees the date is not the problem so much as the value. Austin turns to the comments he received via email. Christian Hay affirms his intent to participate on the Sunday at the WGM and hopes to have more participants at the next meeting. Richard DH suggests later in the evening on Sunday. Austin has concerns about that. John M. thinks that it’s not too late to plan for this next meeting. Bernd notes that dinner plans would cause us to lose a number of participants. RDH notes it makes Sunday a very long day for the international council participants. Austin notes Ken Rubin affirmed his participation. Austin cites Ann Wrightson’s email suggestion “the one suggestion I have is that affiliate leadership could be expressly invited, & the meeting steered to facilitate discussion of opportunities for joint engagement worldwide, whether upcoming European projects, initiatives in particular countries, etc.” Austin lists Bob’s suggestion “to ask each liaison to come up with a list of 3 high level objectives for the relationship, and then present those during the face to face meetings, along with progress towards each.”

Austin notes Margie Kennedy suggested affiliate leadership be invited and develop a strategic roadmap.

Austin states Tim Buxton’s response suggested the meeting be “advertised with objectives that match participants' hopes. Thus, for instance, it might be billed as a meeting to do three things: a) Inform participants of developments in activities with other SDOs; b) Provide a forum for obtaining commitments to contribute from non-lead SDOs on particular projects; and c) Provide a forum where participants are willing and empowered to tackle specific, cross-SDO or inter-SDO issues.”

Bernd notes that the need to harmonize efforts and report to a strategic roadmap is definitely needed, across SDOs. Don notes that as potential ISO secretariat he would like to see the launch of a strategic planning process within ISO. Austin notes that a strategic planning process should be a focal point for the next meeting. Others agree. He’d like to hold one more call before the WGM to set the panel. Perhaps another call in a month on August 10th? We’ll set up a list, pre-populated with this group, open for enrollment. Lynn and Austin will consolidate their notes and get the list set up.


Adjourned 9:45 AM EDT

Next Steps

Actions (Include Owner, Action Item, and due date)
  • Austin will set up a listserv and pre-populate with this group.
  • Austin and Lynn will consolidate their notes for distribution and set up the next meeting.
Next Meeting/Preliminary Agenda Items
  • August 10th, 2011 9:00 AM EDT.
  • Strategic Planning Process
  • Establish panel?

Copyright © Health Level Seven International ® ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. The reproduction of this material in any form is strictly forbidden without the written permission of the publisher.